You might be surprised at how many people think that headshots are only for certain types of professionals like actors, models or real estate agents. The truth of the matter is, I’d say people in just about every industry need a professional headshot.
There are many reasons to have a professional headshot ready to go when you need one. Don’t believe me?
I can think of 10 reasons to have a professional headshot:
- People do business with people-it’s the truth. People want to see the face of the person they are doing business with and they want to be able to put a face with a name.
- Way more places you need a headshot-if you don’t have a professional headshot for your LinkedIn profile and other professional social media profiles, you’re missing out on a fantastic opportunity. Headshots are also more commonly used on websites, in presentations and for employee bios.
- Better web presence-when people look a website, they spend more time looking at photos than reading detailed text. What message is your headshot sending?
- It’s just more professional-getting a headshot taken by a professional will be just that, more professional. Sure, your friend or family member can take a camera, park you in front of a non-distracting background and click the button. The results will simply not be the same as what you would get from a photographer who understands lighting, mood and photo composition.
- Everyone else is doing it-this isn’t about meeting a social norm but it is about a professional one. Having a professional headshot is increasingly expected across many industries. Not having one could make you stand out, and not in a good way.
- Let your personality shine and establish personal branding-even if the headshot is used on a company website, it’s important to establish your own sense of professional branding. It’s the workplace side of your personal brand. Part of establishing a personal brand is allowing highlighting the best parts of your personality that make you an excellent professional partner.
- Industry relevance-while a headshot brings out your personality, it’s also important to showcase your industry. This can be accomplished by using a unique background or color scheme.
- Job change-many companies offer headshots for their employees but that goes with that company’s branding and their corporate look. What happens if you are laid off or leave that company? Headshots should be industry relevant but show the professionalism of the person, not the company. It’s important to have a headshot that conveys your professionalism that can be used if you’re ever in between jobs.
- Confidence builder-we hear a lot of times that people hate having their picture taken so they just don’t do it. We can make you feel more comfortable and help you experience something new that will give professional confidence.
- Bragging rights-Yep, that’s right. How fun would it be to be able to say “hey, I have a headshot?”